Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My Cambodia Experiences, My Memories

This was my second time going to Cambodia and I know how the environment it is like there. I am sure that the environment in Cambodia would not be as good as the environment in Singapore. Due to the poor living environment they have, some of them had to do farming in order to survive.

The homestay at the village was a great experience for me because it was my first time staying in a village and my first thought was that I would not be able to survive through the two days. When I first step into the house, I saw that there was a mattress, pillow and a mosquito netting provided for us. It has change my mind about staying in a village. When I told was told it was the villagers that let us stay in their houses for the two nights, I was really grateful towards them as if it was me, I would not let a stranger to sleep in my house. However, they were very willing to welcome us into their houses. Through the two days in the village, I had a lot from the Cambodians. Even though they were poor, they did not complain about what they did not have, and just live a simple life. They were always smiling and I know that they were happy although they did not have much things to play with. It was opposite from what a Singaporean had. Most children in Singapore live with technology nowadays, but they were always complaining. They were always comparing with other children about what they don't have, but if they were to stop and think about the children in Cambodia, I think it would make great difference on them. We should cherish what we have now.

The scene where the Cambodians went towards the rubbish bin and drank our half-filled bottle of water, I almost couldn't believe my eyes. They drank the water that we threw away. Most of us in Singapore would just throw the bottles of water away even through there is still water. I think we should not waste water and should cherish every drop of water. Through this CIP in Cambodia, there were a lot of improvements made in my life, like not wasting water and cherishing what I have now. Living in a good environment like Singapore, is a very fortunate thing. I will always remember how the Cambodians live, and apply it in my life so that I will improve.

Hui Shi, 2E2

No comments:

Post a Comment