Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My cambodia experience. My memories

Time flies, before we even know it, we have already arrived back in Singapore ready to go home. On the first day, I was still doubting my ability to survive the harsh environment there in Cambodia but once we arrived at our home stay, my idea of dirty toilets and muddy water changed completely. The surroundings of our home stay was clean and breezy and I enjoyed the noises the forest makes at night it pulls us closer to mother nature and step away from our high-tech city. Through the building of well, I have learnt how important is it for us to work together as a team rather than going solo which is more tiring and takes more time. The human chain has taught me to spare a thought for others as what I can carry may not be what others can and I should give them time to pass on the heavy buckets rather than carrying a lot at a time and clogging the chain. The giving out of the rice taught me to not take rice lightly as it is very precious to the people there and we must not waste it, instead of using only one plastic bag we should have used two for one pack of rice to avoid wasting the rice. The trip to the school has taught me to not despise people and stepping out of my comfort zone to serve people and teach them skills they might not even know of, it is sometimes a blessing to give rather than to receive and gain more by losing. The trip to S21 and the killing grounds have certainly made an impact on my life as well as the way I think through it's pictures and wordings. It taught me to love on another and that not everything can be bought with money, things like love and friendship cannot be bought. Throughout this trip, the villagers have taught me a lot of values which cannot be learnt in school such as their close relationships between each other and thriftiness. I did not regret going on this trip at all as I thought that it was very fruitful and my knowledge for this world has increased. I will want to go Cambodia to help the poorer parts of the village again! :)
 Charlene Neo 2E5

No comments:

Post a Comment